Enter your zip code to find your nearest Foster Care office:
Who Can Be a Foster Parent?
Any family or person regardless of religious affiliation or whether they are male or female, single or married, or identify as LGBTQ is able to foster or adopt a child or teen.
A foster parent should be ready, able, and have the resources to provide a stable, loving family and home, whether that be a house, apartment, or mobile home.
Core Competencies of Foster Parents
- Protect and nurture children
- Meet the child’s developmental needs and address developmental delays
- Support relationships between children and their biological families
- Connect children to safe, nurturing relationships intended to last a lifetime
- Work as a member of a professional team
It’s not uncommon to have reservations about fostering or adopting a child or teenager. Many of the families who now serve as foster parents with us had a lot of questions in the beginning. Our resource family recruiters are happy to talk with you over the phone or in person to answer your questions.